You need repairs for your leaking roof, but wouldn’t it be better to prevent the leaks straight away? It certainly is possible, and homeowners normally takes measures to a better gift prepared in the future around. However, in case you have a leaky roof, and even suspect one, you may encounter action immediately. Water damage might be serious, from causing dangerous black mold to ruining the structural integrity of the house (not only the roof). Particularly in states/regions with numerous rain or snow, roofs spring leaks for quite a few reasons. Was your leak preventable?
Unsurprisingly, one of the common causes of a leaky roof is just age. Most roofing materials will deteriorate eventually, especially when they’re not well maintained. Thank temperature fluctuations, weather and exposure for materials cracking, getting brittle and even melting over the seasons. Be sure to maintain a yearly roof inspection schedule to capture problems early.
Here are a few more reasons your roof is perhaps leaking and what should be done about it:
1. Debris: In the event you let twigs, pine needles, leaves along with other debris boost, they can consist of water on the top which can eventually seep into the home. It’s paramount to keep roofs and gutters wash and clear. You can also trim nearby trees to reduce debris to begin with place.
2. Excess Moisture: Some higher roof gutters are used to drain onto a far less portion of roof, which could cause over-saturation — and ultimately leaks. An easy fix is to increase your downspout so water is introduced to the ground.
3. Flashing: With metal roofs, the flashing seals transitions within the roof. If flashing isn’t properly installed or maintained, water can seep underneath and into your roof. Ensure your roofer also checks the caulking for cracks and the nails for security during annual inspections.
4. Gutter Backup: A clogged gutter can slow and even stop water flow from the roof. It is advisable to grab a gutter cover or just commit to checking gutters no less than once per month. Anything from a bird’s nest to the neighbor kid’s fallen kite may very well be to blame.
5. Holes: Maybe you had a television antenna removed, as well as a woodpecker took a specific liking to your current roof. Holes are, obviously, a factor in leaks, but sometimes the cause of the holes takes homeowners by surprise. These should be spotted easily during the course of an inspection.
6. Missing shingles: When you’re missing shingles, you have an exposed roof. You may be able to spot these MIA shingles using binoculars from the ground, and a few homeowners feel confident enough to climb a ladder and check out the roof from that perch. However, it’s always better to depend on a roofing contractor to verify shingles are all there and secure.
Contact Aquashield Roofing today for practically any needed repairs as well as to make sure your roof is in tidy condition and leak-free.